MedVet Privacy Notice
MedVet Privacy Notice
Effective Date 07/01/2023
- What Information We Collect
- How We Use Your Information
- Your Choices
- How We Share Your Information
- Third Party Links
- International Transfers of Personal Information
- Retention of Personal Information
- Your California Privacy Rights
- Your Privacy Rights Under Other US State Laws
- Children’s Privacy
- Changes to This Privacy Notice
- Contact Us
1. IntroductionWelcome! You have arrived at a website operated by MedVet Medical & Cancer Centers for Pets and affiliated companies (“MedVet,” “we”, “our” or “us”). We are a family of emergency and specialty hospitals committed to providing exceptional care for our patients and an unrivaled experience for our clients and referring veterinarians. We are employee owned and veterinarian led which keeps us grounded in our commitment to providing the best specialty and emergency care available for your pet. At MedVet, we take your privacy very seriously. This Privacy Notice (“Notice”) describes the types of personal information (as defined below) that we collect, how we use it, how and when we share it, and the rights you have with respect to your information. It also explains how we communicate with you and how you can make inquiries and requests to us about your information. We strive to help you understand how we use your information to improve our products, Services, marketing, and interactions with you, as part of our commitment to maintaining your trust.
2. ScopeThis Notice applies when you use or access the websites,
3. What Information We CollectThis section describes what information we collect from you through our Sites, App or Services. We may receive information (including Personal Information) in the following ways:
Information That You Provide to UsAs you interact with our Sites, App or Services, such as when you visit our Clinics, we may collect the following Personal Information via webforms or inputs/uploads on our Sites or App, and through telephone calls, letters, emails and other communications with you:
- Contact information such as your first and last name, email address, job title, home or business address, telephone numbers, mobile numbers.
- Contact information such as your first and last name, job title, email address, business address, shipping address, telephone numbers, mobile numbers, pet name and information; and
- Financial information such as your credit card or debit card number, bank account information and your payment, service and purchase history.
- Contact information such as your first and last name, email address, home or business address, shipping address, telephone numbers, mobile numbers;
- Your current or past employment or educational information;
- Relevant licenses and certifications; and/or
- Other information that could reasonably be used to identify you personally.
Information That Is Automatically Collected
MedVet SitesLike many businesses, we and/or our service providers may automatically collect and/or store certain information when you visit or interact with the Sites, App or Services (“Usage Information”). This Usage Information may be stored and/or accessed from your personal computer, laptop, tablet, mobile phone or other device (a “Device”) whenever you visit or interact with our Sites. Usage Information may include:
- Your IP address, IDFA, Android/Google Advertising ID, IMEI, or another unique identifier;
- Your Device functionality (including browser, browser language, settings and behavior, operating system, hardware, mobile network information);
- Referring and exit web pages and URLs;
- The areas within the Sites that you visit and your activities there, including remembering you and your preferences;
- Your Device location or other location information, including the zip code, state or country from which you accessed the Services;
- Your Device characteristics;
- Certain other Device data, including the time of day you visit our Sites or App or other information used to provide analytics or other usage information;
- Information about your engagement with our emails; and
- Statistical information about how both unregistered and registered users, collectively, use the Sites, App and Services. This aggregate information is derived from Personal Information but cannot be tied back to you or your web browser.
Geolocation InformationFor location information, some of our Services may include features based on users’ actual locations and may report on users’ current locations (“Location-Based Services”). To the extent you use any Location-Based Services, we may collect and store information about your location at the time you use those Location-Based Services (in addition to some automatically collected geolocation data). This information can come from a variety of sources depending on the device you use to access the Services; for example, a mobile phone may report its GPS location at the time Location-Based Services are used. If you no longer wish for us or our service providers to collect and use location information, you may disable the location features on your device. Consult your device manufacturer settings for instructions. Please note that if you disable such features, your ability to access certain features, Services, content, promotions, or products may be limited or disabled. Audiovisual Information Closed circuit video surveillance cameras (“CCTV”) may be installed at some of our Clinics to monitor building security and assist in crime prevention, detection, and investigation, and to ensure the safety of our staff and visitors to our facilities.
4. How We Use Your InformationWe use your information for business and commercial purposes, including to use or browse the Sites, to offer our Services, to provide you with customer service, to prevent security and fraud, to provide marketing information about our products and Services, and to perform website analytics. We may use the information we collect about you in a variety of ways, including to:
To Provide Our ServicesWe process certain Personal Information when you access or use our Services, including to:
- process your payments for products and Services such as clinic visits, lab tests and purchases of medication;
- create and verify user accounts;
- facilitate the functionality of our Sites, including payment-related functionality; and
- customize experiences and personalization when you are on our Sites, or in and around our Clinics.
To Communicate with YouWe process certain information in order to communicate with you in relation to your accounts, our Services, our marketing, and your requests, including to:
- communicate with you about your visits to our clinics, health information for your pet, orders, purchases, returns, Services, accounts, programs and contests;
- respond to your customer service inquiries and requests for information about clinic visits, pet health information, or purchases of products or services;
- post your comments or statements on our Sites;
- send you personalized promotions, content, and special offers;
- communicate with you about our brands, products, events, or other promotional purposes;
- implement your communications preferences, such as sharing information with our business partners so that they may email you about their promotions, products and initiatives; and
- provide important product safety information and notice of product recalls.
For Improvement of Our Sites, App or ServicesWe want to ensure that our Sites, App and Services are continually improving and expanding so that we meet and exceed your needs and expectations. To do so, we may process certain Personal Information, including to:
- maintain, improve, and analyze our Sites, App or Services; and
- detect, prevent, or investigate suspicious activity or fraud.
To Comply with Applicable LawsWe may be required to process certain Personal Information under certain laws and regulations, such as tax laws, as well as to:
- maintain appropriate records for internal administrative purposes; and
- comply with applicable legal and regulatory obligations, and respond to lawful governmental requests, as needed.
To Enforce our Terms, Agreements, or PoliciesTo maintain a safe, secure, and trusted environment for you when you use our Sites, App and Services, we use your Personal Information to ensure our terms, policies, and agreements with you and any third parties are enforced.
To Evaluate Your Application for EmploymentWe may use your information to evaluate your application for employment or administer employment benefits.
With Your ConsentWe may process certain Personal Information in order to fulfill any other business or commercial purposes at your direction or with your consent.
- Strictly necessary cookies. These cookies are essential for you to browse the website and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the site. Cookies that allow web shops to hold your items in your cart while you are shopping online are an example of strictly necessary cookies. While it is not required to obtain consent for these cookies, what they do and why they are necessary should be explained to the user.
- Functionality cookies. Also known as “preference cookies,” these cookies allow a website to remember choices you have made in the past, like what language you prefer, what region you would like weather reports for, or what your user name and password are so you can automatically log in.
- Analytics cookies. Also known as “performance cookies,” these cookies collect information about how you use a website, like which pages you visited and which links you clicked on. None of this information can be used to identify you. It is all aggregated and, therefore, anonymized. Their sole purpose is to improve website functions. This includes cookies from third-party analytics Services as long as the cookies are for the exclusive use of the owner of the website visited.
- Advertising cookies. These cookies track your online activity to help advertisers deliver more relevant advertising or to limit how many times you see an ad. These cookies can share that information with other organizations or advertisers. These are persistent cookies and almost always of third-party provenance.
6. Your Choices
CookiesOn most web browsers, you will find a “help” section on the toolbar. Please refer to this section for information on how to receive a notification when you are receiving a new cookie and how to turn cookies off. Please see the links below for guidance on how to modify your web browser’s settings on the most popular browsers: www.allaboutcookies.org, and/or www.youronlinechoices.com.
Do Not TrackYour browser may offer you a “Do Not Track” (“DNT”) option, which allows you to signal to operators of websites and web applications and Services (including behavioral advertising Services) that you do not wish such operators to track certain of your online activities over time and across different websites and platforms. There is no universally agreed-upon standard for what an organization should do when it detects a DNT signal. Currently, we do not monitor or take any action with respect to these signals or other mechanisms. Learn more about Do Not Track here.
Communication PreferencesWith your consent, MedVet communicates with you via a variety of print and digital media. To help us make e-mails more useful and interesting, we use pixels that enable us to see if you open e-mails from us, if your computer supports such capabilities. You can opt out of receiving emails from us at any time. To manage your communications preferences with MedVet — or to opt out of communications entirely — please unsubscribe at the bottom of our emails or contact us using the information in the Contact Us section below.
AnalyticsWe use Google Analytics to help us understand how our customers use the Sites. Read more about how Google uses your Personal Information here and opt-out of Google Analytics here.
7. How We Share Your Information
Services ProvidersWe share your Personal Information with our third-party service providers who provide Services such as website hosting, payment processing, data analysis, information technology, customer service, email delivery, online advertising, auditing and other Services. We use Shopify to power our online store. You can read more about how Shopify uses your Personal Information here: https://www.shopify.com/legal/privacy.
OtherAside from the instances described above, we may share your Personal Information:
- to comply with the law;
- to respond to claims or comply with legal process served on MedVet (e.g., a lawful subpoena, warrant, or court order);
- to enforce or apply our policies or agreements;
- to protect and defend our rights or property or that of our customers, employees, visitors, or the public;
- in connection with a business transfer, sale, liquidation, or merger;
- if we reasonably believe that an emergency involving immediate danger of death or serious physical injury to any person requires disclosure; and
- to other parties only with your consent.
8. Third Party LinksOut Sites may contain links to other websites such as social media platforms, other websites, and event and partner websites. These websites are not covered by this Privacy Notice. Please review the Privacy Notices or Policies of those websites to understand the privacy practices of these third parties.
9. International Transfers of Personal InformationThe Sites and App are operated and targeted toward audiences in the United States. If you are located in another jurisdiction, please know that your information will be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States. By using the Sites or App and providing us with information, you consent to this transfer, processing and storage of your information in the United States. It is important to note that the privacy laws in the United States may not be as comprehensive as those in other countries such as those in the European Union (“ EU”). Our service providers use appropriate safeguards to transfer your Personal Information to the United States.
10. SecurityWe seek to use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect Personal Information. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password so that you can access certain areas of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of your account has been compromised), please contact us using the information in the Contact Us section below.
11. Retention of Personal InformationWe will retain your Personal Information only for as long as is necessary for the purposes set out in this Notice. We will retain and use your Personal Information only to comply with our legal obligations (for example, if we are required to retain your Personal Information to comply with applicable laws), resolve disputes and enforce our legal agreements and policies. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers or those of our third-party data storage providers. We have implemented measures intended to ensure that we will not retain your personal data longer than is necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. Note, however, that if we have a legitimate interest in retaining the data, or if we are required to do so by applicable law, we will retain the data in accordance with our data retention plans and policies. In some circumstances we may choose to anonymise your personal data (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes, in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you. When deciding how long to keep your information, we consider:
- How long we have had a relationship with you or provided our Services to you;
- Whether we are subject to any legal obligations (e.g., any laws that require us to keep transaction records for a certain period of time before we can delete them)
- Whether we have taken any legal positions (e.g., in connection with any statutes of limitation).
12. Your California Privacy RightsThis section of our Privacy Notice applies to consumers who reside in California. We adopt this section to comply with the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) and California Privacy Rights Act (“CPRA”). If you are a California resident, you may be able to exercise the following rights. We will honor requests received to the extent required by applicable law and within the time provided by law.
Right to Access and Information Regarding Personal InformationYou have the right to request that we disclose to you the categories and specific pieces of Personal Information we have collected about you. Specifically, you have the right to request that we disclose the following to you, in each case in the twelve-month period preceding your request:
- The categories of Personal Information we have collected about you;
- The categories of sources from which the Personal Information is collected;
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling Personal Information;
- The categories of third parties with whom we share Personal Information;
- The specific pieces of Personal Information we have collected about you;
- The categories of Personal Information about you, if any, that we have disclosed for monetary or other valuable consideration and the categories of third parties to which we have disclosed the information, by category or categories of Personal Information for each third party to which we disclosed the Personal Information; and
- The categories of Personal Information about you that we disclosed for a business purpose.
- The categories of sensitive personal information to be collected and the purposes for which the categories of sensitive personal information are collected or used and whether such information is sold or shared.
Right to Deletion of Personal InformationYou have the right to request that we delete Personal Information about you that we have collected from you. There may be certain exceptions to our obligation to delete your information such as if you have an existing account or transaction with us or if we have a legitimate business reason to keep your information. As permitted by the CCPA/CPRA, if you request deletion of Personal Information that we have collected about you, we, our service providers, and our contractors may be unable to comply with such a request if your Personal Information is necessary to:
- Complete the transaction for which the Personal Information was collected, provide a good or service requested by you, or reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform a contract between us and you;
- Prevent, detect, and investigate security incidents, protect against malicious deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity; or prosecute those responsible for that activity;
- Debug to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality;
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another Consumer to exercise his or her right of free speech, or exercise another right provided for by law;
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act pursuant to Chapter 3.6 (commencing with section 1546) of Title 12 of Part 2 of the Penal Code;
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when our deletion of that information is likely to render impossible or seriously impair the achievement to such research, if you have provided informed consent;
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with your expectations based on your relationship with us; or
- Comply with a legal obligation
Right to Correct Personal InformationYou have the right to request that we correct any inaccurate information that we maintain about you.
Right to Opt-OutYou have the right to opt out of the sale or sharing of Personal Information. We do not sell Personal Information, but we recognize that some privacy laws define “personal information” in such a way that making available identifiers linked to you for a benefit may be considered a “sale.” To opt-out of this, please click on this link.
Right to Non-DiscriminationWe may not discriminate against you because you have exercised any of the aforementioned rights, including by:
- Denying you goods or Services;
- Charging different prices or rates for goods or Services, including through the use of discounts or other benefits or imposing penalties;
- Providing you a different level or quality of goods or Services; or
- Suggesting that you will receive different price or rate for goods or service or at a different level or quality of goods or Services.
Personal Information We Collect about California ConsumersWe collect certain types of Personal Information about you during your relationship with us, as stated above. In particular, we collected the following categories of Personal Information from California consumers within the last twelve (12) months:
|Category of Personal Information Collected||Collected (Yes/No)||Sources of Personal Information Collected||Business or Commercial Purpose for Collection||Sold||Shared|
|Identifiers such as name, address, email address, phone number, unique id, and other identifiers listed in the Personal Information Collected section above.||Yes||You Automatically Third Parties||To provide our products and Services To provide information you requested To improve our products and Services To identify potential customers<span”> To market our products and Services For verifying identity For fraud prevention purposes To process payments To comply with law To offer employment, to provide insurance and benefits, for background checks||No||No|
|The following categories of Personal Information described in California Civil Code §1798.80(e): (1) the Personal Information listed in the preceding bullet point as “identifiers,” and (2) the other information that identifies, relates to, describes, or is capable of being associated with a particular individual that we describe in “Information We Collect” above.||Yes||You Automatically Third Parties||To provide our products and Services To provide information you requested To improve our products and Services To identify potential clients To market our products and Services For verifying identity For fraud prevention purposes To process payments To comply with law To manage payroll and provide and administer employee benefits||No||No|
|Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law list any of these that you collect: race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, veteran or military status.||No||N/A||To provide our products and Services to clients To improve our products and Services To offer employment, to provide insurance and benefits, for background checks To comply with law||N/A||N/A|
|Commercial information, including information about orders or purchases of any of our products or Services; registration information, specials, and information you provide or submit to us when you participate in any event, program, contest, survey or other promotion that we may offer from time to time.||Yes||You Automatically Third Parties||To provide our products and Services To market our products and Services To improve our products and Services To provide information you requested To comply with law||No||No|
|Internet or other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, browsing history, search history, and information regarding your interaction with our websites, mobile apps, or MedVet pages or accounts on any third-party social media platforms.||Yes||Automatically||To provide our products and Services To market our products and Services To improve our products and Services (e.g., usage pattern data) To track employee actions for internal reports and information security purposes||No||Yes|
|Audio information from calls placed with customer service and accounting centers which may be reported, and electronic information in the form of Internet or other electronic network activity information described above.||Yes||Automatically||To provide our products and Services||No||No|
|Professional or employment-related information.||Yes||You Automatically Third Parties||To provide our products and Services To offer employment, to provide insurance and benefits, for background checks||No||No|
|Inferences drawn from (1) the information we collect when you visit our websites, tools, widgets and plug-ins, (2) information we collect, including through third-party suppliers, regarding content and other data posted on the Internet (such as public locations on the Internet), and (3) information about consumers preference and behavior that we collect on our websites and mobile apps or purchase from third parties in order to create a profile about a consumer reflecting the consumer’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities and aptitudes.||Yes||Third Parties||To provide our products and Services To market our products and Services To improve our products and Services For detecting security incidents and protecting our Site||No||No|
|Sensitive Personal Information such as racial / ethnic origin, political opinions, religious / philosophical beliefs, genetic data, biometric data, sex life / sexual orientation, past or spent criminal convictions, mail, email and text message content, precise geolocation data, social security, driver’s license, state identification card, or passport number, account login, financial account, debit card, or credit card number.||No||N/A||N/A||No||No|
How to Exercise Your California Privacy RightsYou or your authorized agent may make a request to access, correct, delete or opt-out of the disclosure of your Personal Information for business purposes. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child if you believe we have received their information inadvertently. You may request to exercise the aforementioned rights by:
- Submitting a request to email@example.com
- Calling us at 1-833-531-7227
- Mailing us at:
Data Sharing for Direct Marketing PurposesCalifornia Civil Code § 1798.83 further permits California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident, you may ask us to refrain from sharing your Personal Information with certain of our affiliates and other third parties for their marketing purposes. Please tell us your preference by contacting us using the information in the Contact Us section below.
13. Your Privacy Rights Under Other US State LawsIf you are a resident of Colorado, Connecticut or Virginia, you have the right, upon a verified request, to:
- To confirm whether a controller is processing your personal data and to access such personal data;
- To correct inaccuracies in your personal data;
- To delete your personal data;
- To obtain a copy of your personal data that you previously provided to us in a portable, and if technically feasible, readily usable format, if processing is carried out by automated means;
- To opt out of the processing of your personal data for purposes of (i) targeted advertising, (ii) the sale of personal data, or (iii) profiling in furtherance of decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects concerning the consumer.